Friday, September 24, 2010

100th Birthday

On September 15th Brother James celebrated his 100th birthday. He is the old fisherman from Lucea that I have mentioned in a previous post. I made him a cake and Elder Sorensen, the two missionary sisters, and I went out to help celebrate his birthday. I have attached a picture of him and the two sister missionaries. The Jamaican missionary is Sister Campbell. She will be completing her mission this next transfer, which is in almost a couple of weeks. We will miss her. She has a fun personality and Elder Sorensen gets a big kick out of teasing her. The other sister is Sister Speakman from Mesa Arizona who has been serving here in MoBay ever since she came to Jamaica 6 months ago. I'm also attaching a picture of Brother Jame's fishing boat. I can't imagine going out to sea at night in that little boat with just a one mantle coleman latern for light to fish; and he still does it at 100. He says that he is watched over by our Heavenly Father. He also told Elder Sorensen that he carved that boat out of a cottonwood tree and that it is impossible to tip it over.






Some of the food here in Jamaica we are starting to acquire a taste for. One of the most popular foods they eat is called bread fruit. It seems everyone has a big tree with them on growing in their yard or access to. It tastes a little like potato and bread combined. The other night we were visiting one of the member/investigator families, by that I mean the wife is a member and the husband is receiving the lessons, and they gave us a bread fruit to try. We have had it quite a lot but have never cooked it ourselves. They told us to just roast it on the burner of the gas stove. So we tried it and it turned out really good. After it is all burnt nice on the out side you let it cool enough so you can peel it and eat the inside. We put a little salt, pepper, and butter on it. I have attached a picture of the bread fruit roasting on the stove.



We keep pretty busy visiting inactive members in Lucea, Falmouth and some here in MoBay. We hear so many problems these people are having that it just makes my heart ache. We are visiting a man that's wife was kidnaped 5 months ago and never has been found. He has two children a boy 13 and a little girl 9. After visiting with them during the day we get a call from the little girl that night. When I answered the phone this little girl says, "Hello this is Brother Frazier's daughter". She tells me that her family needs food, she needs school shoes, and school bag. So I told her we would see what we could do. There isn't a day that goes by that we aren't approached with some one in need. You just can't imagine how fortunate we are to have things so good. We love the people here and hope we can bring some joy and happiness into their lives through the gosple.

No comments: