Monday, October 18, 2010

National Heroes Day

Today Jamaica celebrates National Heroes Day. This is a celebration for the men and women who fought and some instances lost their lives for the preservation of the beautiful Island of Jamaica and the liberation of the Jamaican people. Today is also our P-Day. We decided to go for a walk down along the beach and down Hip Strip, which is the main tourist section of MoBay. All the shops through out the rest of the area were closed in honor of National Heroes Day. I forgot my camera so didn't get any pictures. Next time. The beaches are very pretty here with real fine white sand. I have a couple beach areas picked out for any one that would like to come visit us. While we were walking we talked to a few native Jamaicans and asked if they would recommend a good place to have lunch. They suggested a restaurant called "The Native". It was just okay. We tried a sample platter of all the main Jamaican dishes which included the following: Acke and Salt Fish, which is their national dish, Curried Goat, Jerked Chicken, Escoveitch Fish, and of course rice and peas. Out of all of them I liked the Escoveitch Fish best. It is fish that has been pan fried and then soaked in a vinegar mixture.

It is starting to rain and lightening really bad so I will write more later.

No comments: