We started our mission one month today. I don't think I have ever learned more in one month before in my life. Starting with the training at the MTC and then learning to drive like a Jamaican and finding our way around here in Montego Bay. It has all been good.
Last Wednesday we went with Sister Wilkinson and Sister Speakman to a area called the Point. It took us about an hour to get there. It was the roughest and windiest road I have ever been on. I said that this would be my first and last trip to Point. But now I will have to swallow my words, because we are headed back up there today at noon. This is all because of a wonderful man named Clarence. Clarence is an investigator. He has read the Book of Mormon twice and has a very strong testimony of the truthfulness of it. The problem that he has with being baptised is that he doesn't think he could make it to church. He has a lung problem and is unable to work. He doesn't have a car and can't afford money for a taxi. Because of not being able to go to church, he feels that he shouldn't be baptised. He wants to be the very best member, and attend church every Sunday, and take an active part. We are going to go visit him again today. We hope something can be worked out.
Last Sunday we had Branch Conference. President and Sister Hendricks came from Kingston. Two branches were resolved because of lack of commitment by the few members they had. The Lucea and Falmouth branches will now be part of the Montego Branch. It is really sad.
Sunday afternoon I decided to cook my first full meal since we have been here and have the Sisters come for dinner. Poppy seed chicken casserole, cranberries, and mixed vegetables was the menu of choice. All was going well until the power went off, which happens quite often, and the oven is electricity. I waited a little while thinking the power would come back on but it didn't. So I called the sisters to see if I could bake it in their oven, they have a gas stove & oven.
I took it up to their apartment, which is right close to ours, and put it in the oven. I told them it would probably take about 30 minutes more and then they could bring it down and I would have everything else ready to eat. Thirty minutes later the phone rang and it was Sister Speakman. She said, "Sister Sorensen, I'm so sorry. I was taking the casserole out of the oven and I dropped it." I had baked it in a glass dish. So that was the end of the poppy seed casserole. Plan B bologne sandwiches. Sister Speakman felt so bad. She made me a little card expressing how bad she felt and asked for my forgiveness. She is such a sweetheart. Fred told her these are the times you will remember.
Wednesday, July 14, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment